So, this is a project that I can actually see the end of maybe by the end of the year – so I’m starting with this in hopes that in dribs and drabs over the next two months it will be on my bed by the new year. Last year for my birthday (it was a big one, decade changer) my very talented SIL gave me a very special gift. She knew that John was also giving me a very special gift so she plotted accordingly. Along with Kathy’s help, John chose a sewing machine for me that will see me out to the end of my days. It’s a glorious machine that even a sewing beginner like me could use straight out of the box and with practice, sew a straight-ish seam. Kathy’s gift was a box loaded with pre-cut fabric that she laboured for days over with all of the pieces needed for a queen sized log cabin quilt. She even taught me how to put them together, lovely girl that she is. So I pieced and pieced and finally had a top. I made the sandwich on my kitchen floor. I did vacuum the dog hair up first, but Daria really wanted to supervise. I used a King sized sheet from a local discount outlet store as the backing and added in a strip of the red fabric as an accent.
I trimmed it up and am now in the process of hand tying it together with a black #5 perl cotton.
That would be Oscar the cat – he’s almost the same size as our beagle and can be much grouchier.
I have just the top left to finish up, then it needed trimming and binding. So close! I’ve only done the binding on one other couch sized quilt so will certainly need to look up some directions for this.